Accidents in confined spaces result in a number of fatalities every year in the workplace. The Confined Spaces Regulations 1997 requires all duty holders to ensure that all work in Confined Spaces is carried out in accordance with these Regulations. The employer is responsible for ensuring that a Safe System of Work is used if entry to a Confined Space cannot be avoided. All persons involved in Confined Space must be competent to do so and properly supervised as appropriate.
This refresher training is to ensure that delegates continue to have a clear understanding of the fundamentals of working in Confined Spaces. They will develop and build on existing knowledge and skills to ensure that they continue to be able to operate in a safe manner, in relation to both themselves and others.
The course is suitable for people who are experienced in Confined Space working, who need to continue their accreditation and wish to refresh their skills and knowledge and be updated on any new developments.
- Explain what is meant by a confined space.
- Understand the importance of risk assessment and demonstrate a basic ability.
- Be able to discuss safe systems of work and permits to work
- Understand the principles and use of gas monitors.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of personal escape breathing apparatus.
- Be able to define individual’s roles and responsibility.
- Demonstrate a basic proficiency to inspect and use basic fall protection, rescue & retrieval equipment.
Course content includes:
- Definition of a confined space & Water UK NC1-NC4 classifications
- Specified Risks
- Duties under the Regulations, preventing the need for entry.
- Risk Assessment and hazard identification
- Atmospheric hazards and gases
- Principles and use of gas detectors
- Safe systems of work & permits to work.
- Roles, responsibilities and topman duties
- Pre use checks, correct donning & adjustment of harness
- Inspection and applications of tripods, winches and fall arrest equipment
- Inspection and use of personal escape breathing apparatus
- Practical exercises
Course Duration: 6.5 hours contact time i.e. 1 day
Type of Certificate: Competence based, valid for 3 years
Accreditations: CABWI, C & G, United Utilities, Yorkshire Water
Min/Max Persons on Course: 6/10
Call 01925 244 144