Working in confined spaces exposes an individual to a range of potential hazards, some of which may threaten injury and, in some instances may possibly lead to death. Therefore specialist training and assessment is required to equip those undertaking this type of work with the necessary skills and competencies to assess risk, control hazards and work safely.
This refresher training is to ensure that delegates continue to have a clear understanding of working in confined spaces which have non-standard entries and which, in consequence, makes rescue difficult. It is likely that a hazard will be present at some time during the entry. Entry may involve complex entry procedures and there will be work-specific controls and rescue arrangements. It will entail the use of self-contained open circuit breathing apparatus, specialist detection equipment, and resuscitation equipment. It will require the presence of personnel who have designated responsibilities for dealing with emergencies.
- Prepare to work safely in High Risk confined spaces
- Enter and exit High Risk confined spaces safely
- Prepare and use self-contained open circuit breathing apparatus in accordance with manufacturers specifications
- Use equipment and tools safely and in accordance with manufacturers instructions
- Follow procedures and work safely
- Deal with emergencies
- Use appropriate behaviour when working in High Risk confined spaces
- Use general knowledge for working in High Risk confined spaces
- Apply appropriate industry specific knowledge for working in High Risk confined spaces
Course content includes:
- Definition of a confined space & Water UK NC1-NC4 classifications & Low, Medium, High definitions
- Specified Risks
- Duties under the Regulations, preventing the need for entry.
- Risk Assessment and hazard identification
- Atmospheric hazards and gases
- Principles and use of gas detectors
- Safe systems of work & permits to work.
- Roles, responsibilities and topman / bottom man duties
- Inspection and use of escape sets and working breathing apparatus
- Pre use checks, correct donning & adjustment of harness
- Inspection and applications of tripods, winches and fall arrest equipment
- Practical exercises and assessments
Course Duration: 13 hours contact time i.e. 2 days
Type of Certificate: Competence based, valid for 3 years
Accreditations: CABWI, C & G, United Utilities, Yorkshire Water
Min/Max Persons on Course: 6/8
Call 01925 244 144