Working in confined spaces exposes an individual to a range of potential hazards, some of which may threaten injury and, in some instances may possibly lead to death. Therefore specialist training and assessment is required to equip those undertaking this type of work with the necessary skills and competencies to assess risk, control hazards and work safely.
This course is about entering and working in a low risk environment with adequate natural or mechanical ventilation.
The access appears simple and unobstructed and there is no likely risk of flooding (for example meter pits, valve chambers; stairwells). Low Risk confined spaces could be associated with lone working requiring the application of appropriate procedures.
- Prepare to work safely in Low Risk confined spaces
- Enter and exit Low Risk confined spaces safely
- Use equipment and tools safely and in accordance with manufacturers instructions
- Follow procedures and work safely
- Deal with emergencies
- Use appropriate behaviour when working in Low Risk confined spaces
- Use general knowledge for working in Low Risk confined spaces
- Apply appropriate industry specific knowledge for working in Low Risk confined spaces
Course content includes:
- Definition of a confined space & Water UK NC1-NC4 classifications & Low, Medium, High definitions
- Specified Risks
- Duties under the Regulations, preventing the need for entry.
- Risk Assessment and hazard identification
- Atmospheric hazards and gases
- Principles and use of gas detectors
- Safe systems of work & permits to work.
- Roles, responsibilities and topman / bottom man duties
- Pre use checks, correct donning & adjustment of harness
- Inspection and applications of tripods, winches and fall arrest equipment
- Practical exercises & assessments
This course is assessed by:
- Direct observation of an entry into a Low Risk confined space
- Written test
Course Duration: 7 guided learning hours i.e. 1 day
Type of Certificate: Competence based, valid for 3 years
Accreditations: CABWI, C & G, Energy and Utility Skills
Min/Max Persons on Course: 6/12
Additional information for those in the Water Industry:
The standards identified in Qualifications for Working in Confined Spaces: Water (6150) City & Guilds do not relate to a training course. However it is unlikely that without the appropriate training the relevant assessment would be achieved in this case 6150-01 applies. This course provides the required learning and assessment standards to allow those that require the qualification to be assessed.
Call 01925 244 144