Breathing Apparatus is a protective measure used to protect the user against an atmosphere containing toxic gases, vapours or particulates as well as atmospheres where oxygen concentration will not support human respiration. Specialist training and assessment is required to equip those undertaking this type of work with the necessary skills and competencies to work safely in an atmosphere where these hazards are prevalent.
The learner can demonstrate that they:
- Adhere to all procedures regarding the carriage and use of Self Contained Open Circuit (SCOC) breathing apparatus.
- Confirm the suitability of the SCOC breathing apparatus for the task.
- Carry out pre-use safety and user tests to confirm the SCOC breathing apparatus and its fit comply with current legislation, manufacturers’ specifications and approved codes of practise.
- Examine the SCOC breathing apparatus prior to fitting and starting the task.
- Resolve any problems with the SCOC breathing apparatus and report non-conformities.
- Fit and adjust the designated SCOC breathing apparatus.
- Wear the designated SCOC breathing apparatus to perform the task.
- Continuously monitor the SCOC breathing apparatus during operation and use.
- Carry out after use checks on the SCOC breathing apparatus after a safe exit.
- Take steps to maintain or repair faulty SCOC breathing apparatus.
- Return the SCOC breathing apparatus after use to the supplier for specialist cleaning and restoration.
- Store SCOC breathing apparatus in designated storage facility ready for the next task.
Course content includes:
- History of breathing apparatus.
- Elementary Physiology and the Respiratory Cycle.
- Set construction and disassembly.
- Pre and post use checks.
- Donning and Operating Procedures.
- Doffing Procedures.
- Cleansing Procedures.
- Record Keeping.
This course is assessed by:
- Direct observation of Donning and Doffing procedures.
- Practical application of SCOC breathing apparatus.
- Written test.
Course Duration: 3.5 guided learning hours i.e. half a day
Type of Certificate: Competence based, valid for 3 years
Min/Max Persons on Course: 6/8
Call 01925 244 144