This unit is required by construction/utility supervisors who, under the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991, are required to demonstrate their competence in Monitoring operatives preparing and compacting unbound materials within the pavement structure.
Supervisors must be experienced and currently employed in working on Public Highways, as this unit predominately focuses on assessment.
- Explain how the formation layer is prepared to receive subsequent layers.
- Monitor the selection and storage of materials for sub-base and road base.
- Monitor the reinstatement of the pavement structure.
- Monitor the disposal of surplus materials
- Monitor site safety
- Making good defects in the pavement structure to receive subsequent layers
- Determining backfill layer is correctly constructed.
- Following safe working practices, including the selection and use of personal protective equipment and use of plant equipment.
- Identifying imported and excavated materials are suitable for use or disposal.
- Unloading and storing materials safely.
- Selecting suitable compaction equipment for the reinstatement.
- Constructing the pavement layers correctly.
- Disposal of surplus materials safely.
- Site cleanliness and safety.
- Provide sufficient underpinning knowledge evidence by way of oral or written questions.
Course Duration: 6.5 hours contact time i.e. one day [for very experienced operatives]
[Note: this unit is normally run in combination with other units.]
Type of Certificate: Competence based, valid for ‘5’ years
Accreditations: CGLI or CABWI or SCOTVEC
Call 01925 244 144