Falls from height account for approximately 20% of all fatal accidents in the workplace. The Work at Height Regulations 2005 requires all duty holders to ensure that all work at height is properly planned and that those involved in working at height are competent. The risks of working at height must be properly assessed and appropriate safe systems of work must be identified and implemented.
This training will enable delegates to have a clear understanding of the fundamentals of working at height. They will develop knowledge and skills to ensure that they become aware of the risks and dangers associated with working at height and be able to initiate a fall protection plan to protect themselves and others using fall protection/fall arrest equipment.
The course is suitable for people who are relatively new to fall arrest equipment, as well as more experienced people who wish to refresh their basic skills and knowledge.
- Explain the effects of gravity and the dynamics of falling.
- Understand the importance of risk assessment and fall protection planning.
- Discuss the three types of fall protection system; restraint, work positioning and fall arrest.
- Explain the importance of rescue planning.
- List the different parts of the equipment that need inspection prior to use.
- Demonstrate how to don and correctly adjust a full body harness.
- Identify the key components that form part of fall arrest system.
Course content includes:
- Gravity, the dynamics of falling & the consequences of impacting the ground
- The PPE Directive & Work at Height Regulations 2005
- Risk assessment & fall protection planning
- Fall initiation hazards
- Fall protection systems & hierarchy of control measures
- Fall arrest hazards
- Rescue & post suspension trauma
- Pre use checks, maintenance & storage
- Correct donning & adjustment of harness
- Trial suspension on both front & rear attachment points of a harness
- Energy absorbing lanyards – how they function
- Fall arrest blocks – how they function
- Anchor points
Course Duration: 6.5 hours contact time i.e. 1 day
Type of Certificate: Competence based, valid for 3 years
Accreditations: Not applicable
Min/Max Persons on Course: 6/12
Call 01925 244 144