A third of all reported fall from height incidents involve ladders and step ladders. On average this accounts for 14 fatalities and 1200 major injuries to workers each year. Contrary to popular opinion the HSE have not banned the use of ladders and stepladders. For straight forward, short duration work they can be a good option.
This training will enable delegates to gain a basic awareness of the hazards of using ladders in the workplace. They will develop knowledge and skills to know when to use a ladder, how to inspect it, how to use it and basic safety precautions. This course is suitable for all persons who will have a need to use either ladders or stepladders during the course of their working day.
- Explain the effects of gravity and the dynamics of falling.
- Identify suitable activities for using ladders/stepladders.
- List the different pre-use checks for ladders.
- Understand and demonstrate how ladders should be positioned.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the safe use of ladders.
Course content includes:
- Gravity, the dynamics of falling & the consequences of impacting the ground.
- Hazards involving the use of ladders
- When is it suitable to use a ladder/stepladder?
- Classification of ladders
- Pre use checks for ladders/stepladders
- Guidance for positioning ladders/stepladders
- Rules for the safe use of ladders/stepladders
- Practical test for delegates
- Written test
Course Duration: 3.25 hours contact time i.e. half day
Type of Certificate: Attendance inc. practical, valid for 3 years
Accreditations: Not applicable
Min/Max Persons on Course: 6/10
Call 01925 244 144