This unit is required by construction/utility supervisors who, under the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991, are required to demonstrate their competence in Monitoring operatives carrying out the construction of the backfill layer.
Supervisors must be experienced and currently employed in working on Public Highways, as this unit predominately focuses on assessment.
- Monitor selection of non-bituminous materials for use in carriageway and footway reinstatements.
- Monitor selection of plant used for the compaction of sub-base (road base) material.
- Explain how the sub-base and base (road base) layers should be constructed.
- Monitor site safety.
- Provision of a reinstatement design and method statement from the specifications.
- Observing an operative reinstating the backfill layer where services are present in a Modular or Type 3/4 flexible carriageway in accordance with the specifications.
- Recording observations made and explaining reasons for agreeing or disagreeing with site operations and working practices.
- Determining any remedial action required.
- Calculating material quantities.
- Identifying a range of backfill materials class A to E
- Identifying carriageway/footway types and layer construction.
- Field testing a range of backfill materials, confirm their suitability or unsuitability and giving reasons for this.
- providing sufficient underpinning knowledge evidence by way of oral or written questions.
Course Duration: 6.5 hours contact time i.e. one day [for very experienced operatives]
[Note: this unit is normally run in combination with other units]
Type of Certificate: Competence based, valid for ‘5’ years
Accreditations: CGLI or CABWI or SCOTVEC
Call 01925 244 144