This course is about working in confined spaces which have non-standard entries and which, in consequence, makes rescue difficult. It is likely that a hazard will be present at some time during the entry. Entry may involve complex entry procedures and there will be work-specific controls and rescue arrangements. It will entail the use of self-contained open circuit breathing apparatus, specialist detection equipment, and resuscitation equipment. It will require the presence of personnel who have designated responsibilities for dealing with emergencies.
Course content includes:
• Definition of a confined space (HSE C&G & Water UK)
• Specified Risks
• Duties under the Regulations, preventing the need for entry.
• Risk Assessment and hazard identification
• Atmospheric hazards: gases and gas detection
• Safe systems of work & permits to work.
• Roles, responsibilities and topman / bottom man duties
• Inspection and use of escape sets and working breathing apparatus
• Pre use checks, correct use of fall protection equipment
• Inspection and applications of tripods, winches and fall arrest equipment